Living in the good old state of Virginia provides us with so many opportunities for living history education. I almost missed this opportunity but got notification of it in my email this morning. This is not very good notice, but I wanted to pass it on in case anybody was still looking for cool, FREE things to do this Memorial Day weekend.
The 7th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line Returns to Gloucester!
They were here in 1776 and now they are back!
Revolutionary War Encampment
Saturday, May 28, 2011 – 10 am to 4 pm
Historic Court Circle, Main Street
FREE! Come for an hour or two, stay for the day. Bring a lawn chair and remember these and all veterans who sacrificed for our independence and our continued liberty throughout the years since.
Visit with Revolutionary-era soldiers, their families and camp followers as they interpret camp life during the War for Independence.
* Gather around the soldier’s tents as they explain the history of their unit
* Join in the drilling of “volunteers”
* Witness black powder firing demonstrations
* Meet an 18th century pharmacist
* Learn the favorite children’s games of the period