Homeschool Astronomy Day at the Science Museum of Virginia
Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Join other homeschool families for a day filled with astronomy!
Your Day at the Museum includes:
- All day admission to the Science Museum of Virginia, including our new traveling exhibit: Great Balls of Fire! Explore comets, asteroids and meteors as you never have before in the world premiere of the Space Science Institute’s Great Balls of Fire. This new exhibition lets you attempt to save Earth from an asteroid, or (even more fun) send an asteroid to your zip code and see what would happen! Watch some of your favorite movie and TV clips to determine if they represent science fact or science fiction.
- Special Science on a Sphere exhibit presentation “Tour of the Solar System”: 11 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM. Science on the Sphere is a new, thrilling exhibit thatprojects animated images on the giant sphere.
- Special demonstration of “Rat Basketball”: 11:30 AM and 2:30 PM. Yes, you heard correctly, rats play basketball. Attend the demonstration to see them play and learn how they were trained using classical conditioning.
- Optional Workshop: Rocketry – $4.00 per participating student; aimed at students aged 6 -11: 9:30 AM, 10:30 AM, 11:30 AM, & 12:30 PM
- Optional IMAX® movie Hubble – $5.00 per person (FREE for three and under). Hubble chronicles the amazing saga of the greatest success in space since themoon landing. Featuring stunning on-orbit coverage of the telescope’s final repair and jaw-dropping flights through distant galaxies.
$8 per student, $8 per adult (no membership discounts), Free for children 3 and under. Pre-registration is required.
Are you a Science Rewards card member?
Science Rewards is a homeschool discount card. Registration is free and Science Rewardscardholders are entitled to book a group visit with a minimum of 5 students (instead of 10). One chaperone admitted free for every group of five participating students. Children three and under are admitted free. Along with our exhibits and IMAX® films, you can enjoy a different science activity exclusively for homeschool groups at 2 pm on Wednesday afternoons. Please make your reservation 2 weeks in advance for a Wednesday program.
On homeschool day, show your Science Rewards card in Café Portico and receive a FREE drink with purchase of a delicious entree.
Additionally, Science Rewards cardholders receive 20% off the purchase of books and 10% off the purchase of merchandise in our gift shop. Valid Science Rewards card must be presented at time of purchase.
If you’re not a Science Rewards cardholder, sign up while you are there. To receive yourScience Rewards card, please present your homeschool certification in person at our admissions desk, via fax at 804-864-1509 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to stop by the VaHomeschoolers table in the rotunda. Board President Parrish Mort and Board member and Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson will be on hand to answer questions, offer samples of our magazine, VaHomeschoolers Voice, as well as copies of our newest brochures and informative handouts. Pick some up to share with friends or homeschool group members. Don’t need anything? Just stop by and say hello. We’ll be glad to see you!
For more information on the Science Museum of Virginia, visit their website at www.smv.org.