The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers believes that all homeschoolers’ interests are served when government, news media, and the public see us as a diverse community united in our love of our children and in our valuing freedom to teach and learn at home.
Email: VaHomeschoolers Media Relations
For media inquiries regarding Homeschoolers Sports Access (“Tebow Bills”), please contact Amy Wilson, VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Director
Interested in knowing how many homeschoolers in Virginia? Check out the Virginia Homeschool Statistics page for links.
Homeschoolers Sports Access (“Tebow Bills”)
The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers supports homeschool access to public school programs and services and since 1997 has worked to increase access at the state and local level. Please see the following pages for an extensive list of resources and information on this issue:
Homeschoolers’ Sports Access
Get the most up-to-date information about Homeschoolers Sports Access. Find extensive research, position papers, links to the current bills, and learn more about the history of this issue.
Journalists’ Fact Check – Sports Access
For your convenience, here are some facts that have sometimes been confused by journalists or misunderstood/misrepresented by sources.
VCU Commonwealth Education Poll 2012-2013
More than two-thirds of Virginians (67%) favor allowing homeschooled students to participate on public school teams
Stories from Homeschooling Families
Read personal stories about how this bill will affect homeschooling families throughout Virginia.
VaHomeschoolers Press Releases
- Press Release: House Subcommittee Agrees With Over Two-Thirds of Virginians: Let Homeschoolers Play! January 25, 2013
- Press Release: Homeschool Sports Access in Virginia: 2013 "Tebow" Bills Would Give School Boards Control: HB 1442 and SB 812 January 15, 2013
- Press Release: Senate Committee Votes Down Homeschool Sports Access Bill March 1, 2012
- Press Release: House Education Committee Approves Homeschool Sports Access Bill February 1, 2012
- Press Release: Sports Access Bill Passes Subcommittee January 26, 2012
VaHomeschoolers In the News
- Washington Post: ‘Tebow bill’ would let home-schoolers try out for public school teams, February 2013 VaHomeschoolers' student interns Micah Fitz and Sydney Bowman along with their mothers were interviewed for this Washington Post article on the Homeschoolers Sports Access bill being debated in the Virginia General Assembly this session. VaHomeschoolers' Director of Government Affairs, Amy Wilson was also quoted.
- Christian Post: Va. Legislature Considering 'Tim Tebow Bill' for Homeschooler Athletes, February 2013 Amy Wilson, director of Government Affairs for The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers is quoted in this Christian Post article about homeschoolers' sports access in Virginia.
- NBC 29 (Charlottesville), Homeschoolers Sports Access, October 2012 Charlottesville station NBC 29 interviews VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson about the October Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) Homeschool Sports Access Discussion Group meeting.
- Roanoke Times, Homeschoolers Sports Access, April 2012 VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson writes in support of homeschoolers access to public school sports in this "Point/Counterpoint" series hosted by The Roanoke Times.
- Time Magazine, The Home Team, April 2012 Former VaHomeschoolers Board member Jeanne Faulconer and her son Nick are featured in a multi-page article discussing how the ban on homeschoolers playing public school sports in Virginia affects on their family. Also covers the sports access issue from a national level.
- SoVa Now, Homeschoolers Gain Yardage, February 2012 Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson is quoted in support of homeschoolers sports access in this article in the South Boston News & Record and Mecklenburg Sun.
- Kojo Nnamdi Show, WAMU 88.5, October 2010 Celeste Land, VaHomeschoolers’ Director of Government Affairs and a member of our Board of Directors, was a guest on the Kojo Nnamdi Show on WAMU 88.5 in Washington DC on October 13, 2010.
- Fox News, America’s Future Series, September 2008 VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Chair, Celeste Land was interviewed for the nationally aired Fox News television America’s Future series, “looking at challenges facing the country in the 21st century.” Celeste discussed the diversity of homeschoolers as well as the advocacy work necessary to maintain homeschool rights.