The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers receives numerous calls and emails from reporters covering the sports access issue for print and electronic media outlets. Read some recent media coverage below.
To request an interview, email Amy Wilson, VaHomeschoolers Director of Government Affairs, or call 866-513-6173.
For the Media
Please see the following pages for an extensive list of resources and information on this issue:
Homeschoolers’ Sports Access
Get the most up-to-date information about Homeschoolers Sports Access. Find extensive research, position papers, links to the current bills, and learn more about the history of this issue.
Journalists’ Fact Check – Sports Access
For your convenience, here are some facts that have sometimes been confused by journalists or misunderstood/misrepresented by sources.
VCU Commonwealth Education Poll 2012-2013
More than two-thirds of Virginians (67%) favor allowing homeschooled students to participate on public school teams
Stories from Homeschooling Families
Read personal stories about how this bill will affect homeschooling families throughout Virginia.
VaHomeschoolers Press Releases
- Press Release: House Subcommittee Agrees With Over Two-Thirds of Virginians: Let Homeschoolers Play! January 25, 2013
- Press Release: Homeschool Sports Access in Virginia: 2013 "Tebow" Bills Would Give School Boards Control: HB 1442 and SB 812 January 15, 2013
- Press Release: Senate Committee Votes Down Homeschool Sports Access Bill March 1, 2012
- Press Release: House Education Committee Approves Homeschool Sports Access Bill February 1, 2012
- Press Release: Sports Access Bill Passes Subcommittee January 26, 2012
- Washington Post: ‘Tebow bill’ would let home-schoolers try out for public school teams, February 2013 VaHomeschoolers' student interns Micah Fitz and Sydney Bowman along with their mothers were interviewed for this Washington Post article on the Homeschoolers Sports Access bill being debated in the Virginia General Assembly this session. VaHomeschoolers' Director of Government Affairs, Amy Wilson was also quoted.
- Christian Post: Va. Legislature Considering 'Tim Tebow Bill' for Homeschooler Athletes, February 2013 Amy Wilson, director of Government Affairs for The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers is quoted in this Christian Post article about homeschoolers' sports access in Virginia.
- NBC 29 (Charlottesville), Homeschoolers Sports Access, October 2012 Charlottesville station NBC 29 interviews VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson about the October Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) Homeschool Sports Access Discussion Group meeting.
- Roanoke Times, Homeschoolers Sports Access, April 2012 VaHomeschoolers Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson writes in support of homeschoolers access to public school sports in this "Point/Counterpoint" series hosted by The Roanoke Times.
- Time Magazine, The Home Team, April 2012 Former VaHomeschoolers Board member Jeanne Faulconer and her son Nick are featured in a multi-page article discussing how the ban on homeschoolers playing public school sports in Virginia affects on their family. Also covers the sports access issue from a national level.
- SoVa Now, Homeschoolers Gain Yardage, February 2012 Government Affairs Director Amy Wilson is quoted in support of homeschoolers sports access in this article in the South Boston News & Record and Mecklenburg Sun.