The Conference Chair or Co-Chairs facilitate the general tone of the conference. They are responsible for coordination of all aspects of the conference in conjunction with a board representative. This includes establishing a team of coordinators for all areas of the conference such as exhibitors, volunteers, speakers, etc., while supported by experienced conference organizers.
Previous experience in conference planning is not required!
Some Responsibilities Include:
- Help develop the list of prospective keynote or featured speakers.
- Work with the Speaker Keyleader to develop the list of potential speakers and/or topics.
- Secure volunteers to serve as chairs/keyleaders of each of the committees.
- Create a conference planning timeline and share with committees.
- Provide support, resources, and guidance to committee chairs. Help insure they are informed, on schedule, and enthusiastic.
- Facilitate the production of the registration booklet and program. This includes collecting copy from committee chairs as well as drafting some copy.
- Coordinate the promotion, advertising, social media, and marketing campaigns.
- Work with the conference editor to proof all copy generated for publication – announcements, press releases, solicitations, etc.
- Facilitating leadership team communication and creating a positive team atmosphere.
- Attend to needs of VIP speakers on site.
- Assure expenditures are within the board-provided budget.
- Send periodic updates to the board.
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to successfully juggle multiple tasks
- Capable of seeing the big picture as well as needed details.
- Able to communicate clearly and frequently through email and in person
- Willing to respect the policies set by the board, and to respectfully argue their case if they have reason to disagree
- Able to assess quickly and respond calmly in crisis situations
- Varies from 2-10 hours a week.
- Increases closer to conference.
- This great experience is perfect for the homeschooling parent’s resume.
- Help grow your network of homeschooling contacts and meet homeschooling resources across the commonwealth.
- Fabulous way to fine-tune your project management skills.
- Free conference registration for the whole family.