This position may be filled by an individual or may be co-chaired by two people.
General Overview: The conference chair facilitates the theme, logo and general tone of the conference. They are responsible for coordination of all aspects of the conference in conjunction with a board representative. This includes establishing a team of coordinators for all areas of the conference such as exhibitors, volunteers, speakers, etc.
- Locate and contract for a venue in conjunction with board representative.
- Sole liaison with the venue
- Propose theme and logo for conference.
- Develop list of prospective keynote or featured speakers. Contract those chosen.
- Familiarize yourself with the duties of the various committees.
- Secure volunteers to serve as chairs of each of the committees.
- Create a conference planning timeline and share with committees.
- Provide support, resources and guidance to committee chairs. Help insure they are informed, on schedule, and enthusiastic.
- Supervise selection of speakers and session topics with session chair.
- Facilitate the production of the registration booklet and program. This includes collecting copy from committee chairs as well as drafting some copy.
- Coordinate the promotion, advertising, social media and marketing campaigns
- Proof all copy generated for publication – announcements, press releases, solicitations, etc.
- Requesting bids from suppliers such as catering, printing and tote bags, for Board review and contracting with those companies chosen
- Facilitating leadership team communication and creating a positive team atmosphere
- Attend to needs of VIP speakers on site.
- Assure expenditures are within the board provided budget.
- Send periodic updates to the board.
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to successfully juggle multiple tasks
- Capable of seeing the big picture as well as needed details.
- Able to communicate clearly and frequently
- Willing to respect the policies set by the board, and to respectfully argue his/her case if they have reason to disagree
- Experience in conference planning
- Able to asses quickly and respond calmly in crisis situations
Time Commitment: The 2016 Conference Chair is an upper management position and will require intentionality from now until the end of conference in recruiting, training and communicating with volunteers.
Training and Accountability: The 2016 Conference Chair will report directly to the President and Board of Directors for VaHomeschoolers. Information and insight can be gleaned from previous conference chairs who will be available to answer any questions.