Volunteer with VaHomeschoolers
As the state’s volunteer-driven homeschool organization, VaHomeschoolers’ work is done by our volunteers — homeschooling parents, like you, who feel strongly about supporting homeschooling in Virginia, and who recognize the importance of an organization like VaHomeschoolers. Consider supporting VaHomeschoolers by volunteering your time and abilities; not only will you be assisting us in our mission, but these volunteer opportunities are also great ways to develop (perhaps new) skills and to network with other homeschoolers!
For more information and complete job descriptions for any of these positions, please email our Volunteer Coordinator. When applying, please include a listing of relevant skills and/or any previous experience.
If none of these positions seems to be a fit, but you want to help, email our Volunteer Coordinator with your areas of interest and skills. Many volunteer opportunities exist, and we can find one that is the right size and scope for you.
Help Wanted - Positions Available
Work closely with the Board of Directors and Volunteer Coordinator to improve statewide communication within VaHomeschoolers, arrange locations and publicity for coffee chats and seminars in your region, distribute VaHomeschoolers materials to libraries and other homeschool-friendly locations, and be a drop off point for giveback programs and used curriculum resources.
- Skills and Qualities: Enjoy bringing people together and organizing groups; frequent public places such as libraries, rec centers, or coffee shops; effective communication skills
- Time Commitment: At least two hours per month: more at the beginning as you are trained, tapering off as things get settled
Twice a month from September – May (and once a month in June/July/August), the Road Trips Editor will compile a list of upcoming homeschool-specific field trips and homeschool days that will take place in Virginia (or occasionally close by in MD, DC, WV, and NC) with a brief write up and info (price, location, etc.) for dissemination.
- Skills and Qualities: Strong candidates will have a desire to volunteer behind the scenes from home, enjoy surfing the internet, are good at ferreting out information, have good email communication skills, and can follow a deadline.
- Time Commitment: 1-2 hours a week, often less.
Our advertising manager shall coordinate with the Board of Directors to increase the visibility of VaHomeschoolers throughout Virginia by reaching out and responding to potential advertisers. Will also assist with creating guidelines and standards to ensure VaHomeschoolers has a wide-ranging and thorough page of resource and service options for all homeschoolers.
- Skills and Qualities: Someone who is creatively inclined; has strong verbal, written, and online communication skills; is able to organize and keep track of details; prefers to work behind the scenes; and has the ability to respond quickly and work within deadlines.
- Time Commitment: Able to dedicate 1-2 hours a week to build our presence and our network of advertisers.
Our media relations manager shall coordinate with the Board of Directors to increase VaHomeschoolers visibility throughout Virginia by writing press releases, building awareness and interest in upcoming VaHomeschoolers events, and by cultivating media contacts throughout the Commonwealth.
- Skills and Qualities: Creatively inclined; strong communication (verbal, written, and online), computer, and organizational skills; desire to work behind the scenes; ability to work within deadlines.
- Time Commitment: Steady commitment of 1-2 hours a week to build our presence; 5-10 hours per week before major events like our annual conference.
Our “Twitter Tweeter” posts VaHomeschoolers’ information and notices, re-tweets interesting posts relating to education and homeschooling, and responds to tweets mentioning VaHomeschoolers and other homeschooling posts.
- Skills and Qualities: Effective communication skills, ability to discern possible controversial topics which need coordination before response, support the mission of VaHomeschoolers, easy access to the internet. Experience with Twitter is preferred, but not essential.
- Time Commitment: Generally, about 10-20 minutes per day.